OK, here's the long overdue followup to my previous posting. These are the things I think motivate Developers to produce their best work and highest productivity.
- Challenging work using the latest technologies.
- Management they can relate to technically, that has been there and done that.
- Fast PC, with multiple large screen monitors.
- A Laptop (and other cool gadgets) instead of a Desktop PC.
- Regular opportunities to attend Tech Conferences.
- Free soda.
- A private office (this may be a generational thing).
- Book allowance (or subscriptions to online references).
- Free certification tests.
- Above average salaries.
- The threat of being outsourced/off-shored.
This of course is by no means an exclusive list, and of course #11 is tongue in cheek.